Rheumatoid Arthritis: Remedies
- Ama must be digested and Vata should be balanced in the body.
- Digestion should be improved and fasting for one day is beneficial for digesting Ama.
- Two teaspoons of lemon juice and a teaspoon of honey mixed in a cup of warm water are good for help in arthritis.
Dosage: To be taken twice a day.
- Bake one or two egg plants. Mash and fry in about 2 tablespoons of castor oil. Spices like cumin, coriander, turmeric, garlic and salt can be added while frying.
Dosage: Take once daily for two to three months as a part of your food.
- Half a teaspoon of turmeric powder with warm water helps in this type of arthritis.
Dosage: Taken twice a day
- One raw clove of garlic every day is very beneficial. This clove can be fried in ghee (clarified butter) or castor oil.
Dosage: Once daily for two to three months.
- Guggulu (an Ayurveda herb) is very helpful in Amavata. If available, take 2 tablets of purified Guggul twice a day after meals with warm water.
- Camphor, wintergreen and cinnamon oils are also beneficial for external application.
- Paste of 1 teaspoon red chilies and fresh ginger mixed in half a cup of sesame oil and strain. Gently rub this oil on the affected joints
Cold and Cough : Remedies
- The body should be kept warm - especially the feet, chest, throat and head. Sweating is very helpful.
- Take half a teaspoon of ginger juice with half a teaspoon of honey, three times a day (morning, noon and night). In winter, warm the mixture by mixing a teaspoon of warm water in it.
- Mix half a cup of warm water with one teaspoon of lemon juice and one teaspoon of honey.
Dosage: Take several times a day.
- In cases of dry cough (especially during the night), peel a small piece of fresh ginger. Sprinkle some salt on it and chew.
- Take equal amounts of cardamom, ginger powder, black pepper and cinnamon (1 teaspoon each). Add sugar equal to the total amount of mixture and grind to make a fine powder.
Dosage: Take half a teaspoon twice daily, with honey or warm water after meals.
- In cases of sore throat, a clove or two cardamoms or a few raisins can be chewed. Gargling with warm salty water two to three times a day is also beneficial.
Constipation : Remedies
- Drinking a glass of warm milk before going to bed helps in easy evacuation in the morning. In case of severe constipation, mix two teaspoons of castor oil in the milk.
- Drink one liter of warm water and walk around for a few minutes immediately after waking up early in the morning.
- Drinking lemon juice mixed with warm water two to three times a day eases constipation.
- One or two teaspoons of aloe gel can be taken twice a day.
- A common Ayurvedic formulation for constipation is Triphala powder. It is a powder made by grinding three kinds of herbs. A teaspoon of this powder taken with warm water or milk at the time going to bed is beneficial.
- Water boiled with coriander seeds should be given (after straining). Pomegranate juice in small quantities can be also given frequently.
- Decoction prepared from pomegranate skin is very useful in stopping diarrhea. To prepare the decoction, take 50 grams of fresh pomegranate skin. Soak it in 800 ml. of water for one hour. Boil until a quarter of the volume remains (200 ml). Store this mixture in a clean, dry bottle. A couple of tablespoons can be taken several times a day. If there is blood in the stools, add half a teaspoon of honey to the decoction.
- Sugar and salt solution: Mix one teaspoon of natural sugar, half a teaspoon of common salt or rock salt and half a teaspoon of fresh lemon juice in a cup of water. Small doses of this mixture (around a quarter cup) can be given whenever the patient wants to drink.
- A paste made of sesame seeds (1 teaspoon) and a few tablespoons of goats’ milk is also beneficial
- Mild sweating: this helps to digest the toxins. Lie on a bed covered with a blanket, for 15 to 20 minutes. Drinking a hot liquid also helps.
Take 10 grams(one-tablespoon) raisins and 10 grams (one tablespoon) fresh ginger. Crush andput in 200-ml. water for one hour. Boil this decoction till the water reduces to50 ml. Strain and drink while warm
- Fasting completely for one day is an efficient method to digest Ama.
- Taking fruits, fruit juices and boiled vegetables for one week is also a very beneficial way of fasting.
- Lemon juice mixed in warm water taken three times a day improves digestion.
- Chewing a small piece of fresh ginger with salt, five to ten minutes before meals, stimulates digestion.
- Take equal amounts of ginger powder, black pepper, dried mint leaves, asafetida (hing), anise seeds, coriander seeds, cumin, fennel and common salt. Grind together to make a fine powder. Dosage: Take about 1 teaspoon of this powder with water, twice a day after meals.
- Drinking buttermilk after a meal improves digestion. Roasted cumin seeds and a little salt in the buttermilk enhance its effectiveness.
- Drinking water gives immediate relief to symptoms like wind, distended stomach and acidity.
- Eat half a teaspoon of aniseed to improve digestion.
- A teaspoon of ginger juice mixed in a quarter cup of warm water can be taken two or three times a day. A teaspoon of lemon juice and a pinch of salt can also be added to make it more effective
- Take dry ginger, clove, cinnamon and almond in equal quantities (around 1 teaspoon each) and grind together with a little water to make a paste. Apply paste on the forehead. A paste made of sandalwood powder can also be applied on the forehead.
- Mix a quarter teaspoon of clove powder in one teaspoon of cinnamon oil. Apply mixture to the location of pain.
- Take a few drops of ghee (clarified butter) on your palm. Mix 3 or 4 pieces of saffron in it, and rub it for two minutes. The saffron does not dissolve in the ghee, but its qualities are absorbed. Remove saffron and put two drops of this ghee in each nostril. Follow procedure twice a day.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of milk and half teaspoon of ginger powder and put one or two drops in each nostril twice a day.
- Wrap a wet cloth around the neck.
- Oil massage on the scalp also relieves tension and headache. Sesame oil, almond oil, mustard oil or ghee (clarified butter) can be used for massage.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of almond oil. When it cools down, put two drops in each nostril.
- Increase the quantity of fruits and vegetables and low calorie foods.
- Avoid intake of too much salt as it may be a factor for increasing body weight.
- Milk products like cheese, butter etc. and non-vegetarian foods should be avoided as they are rich in fat.
- Mint is very beneficial in losing weight. Chutney of green mint with some simple spices can be taken with meals. Mint tea also helps.
- Spices like dry ginger, cinnamon, black pepper etc. are good for loosing weight and can be used in a number of ways.
- Regular intake of carrot juice.
- Avoid rice and potato, which contain a lot of carbohydrates. Among cereals wheat is good.
- Vegetables like bitter gourd (Karela), and bitter variety of drumstick are useful in loosing weight.
- Honey is an excellent home remedy for obesity. It mobilizes the extra deposited fat in the body allowing it to be utilized as energy for normal functions. One should start with small quantity of about 10 grams or a tablespoon, taken with hot water early in the morning. A teaspoonful of fresh lemon juice may also be added.
- Fasting on honey and lime- juice is highly beneficial in the treatment of obesity without the loss of energy and appetite. For this, mix one teaspoon of fresh honey with the juice of half a lime in a glass of lukewarm water.
Take several times a day at regular intervals.
- Raw or cooked cabbage inhibits the conversion of sugar and other carbohydrates into fat. Hence, it is of great value in weight reduction.
- The gum ofCommiphora Mukul called 'guggulu' is the herb of choice for the obesity. Ifavailable, take 2 tablets of purified Guggul twice a day after meals with warmwater.
- Exercise is an important part of any weight reduction plan. It helps to use up calories stored in body as fat.
- Walking is the best exercise to begin with and may be followed by running, swimming or rowing.
ReduceWeight Naturally: Remedies